Made with 100% chicken breast, our traditional Pollo Deshebrado follows our family recipe. Fully cooked in its own juices and lightly seasoned with a traditional blend of spices. A convenient, ready-in-minutes, authentic meal.
- 1 32oz package Del Real Foods® Shredded Chicken
- 12 Corn Tortillas, cut into sixths and fried or baked to make chips.
- 28oz can whole tomatoes in juice, drained
- 2 Canned chipotle chiles en adobo
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1 large white onion, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 3 Garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 ½ cups of chicken broth, vegetable broth or water
- Salt if needed
- 1/3 cup Sour Cream thinned with a little milk
- ¼ cup grated Mexican dry cheese (añejo) or you can use Romano or Parmesan cheese.
- 1/3 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
Heat the Del Real Foods® Shredded Chicken by following the instructions on the package. Set aside. Blend tomatoes and chipotle chiles to a slightly coarse puree. You should have about 2 ¼ cups of puree. Set a medium (4-5- quart) pot or deep skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and onion. Cook stirring regularly until golden (about 7 minutes). Add garlic and stir another minute, then raise the heat to medium high. Add the tomato puree and stir for about 4-5 minutes until mixture thickens somewhat. Stir in the broth or water and season with salt (about ½ teaspoon). Add the tortilla chips coating all chips well. Let return to a rolling boil, cover and turn off the heat. Let it stand for 5 minutes (no longer). Uncover the pot and check the chips have softened nicely (not mushy). Sprinkle with cilantro and drizzle with sour cream. Add the shredded chicken and dust generously with cheese.